March 26, 2015

David Ortiz: On The Record

David Ortiz:
In some people's minds, I will always be considered a cheater. And that's bullshit. Mark my words: Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me. You know how many times I've been tested since 2004? More than 80. They say these tests are random. If it's really random, I should start playing the damn lottery. Some people still think the testing is a joke. It's no joke. Ten times a season these guys come into the clubhouse or my home with their briefcases. I have never failed a single one of those tests and I never will. ...

In 2013, I came off the DL and started hot. My first 20 games I was hitting like .400. And the reporter with the red jheri curl from The Boston Globe comes into the locker room says, "You're from the Dominican. You're older. You fit the profile of a steroid user. Don't you think you're a prime suspect?"

He's saying this with a straight face. I had taken like 70 at-bats. Anybody can get hot and hit .400 with 70 at-bats. I was stunned. I'm like, I'm Dominican? I fit the profile? Are you kidding me?

I wanted to kill this guy.

11 comments:

Brian said...

Seriously, why does the Boston Globe continue to pay the CHB's salary? Why does this guy have a job?

Does anybody like him?!?

johngoldfine said...

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/david-ortiz-on-the-record/

You read the whole piece and really get a sense for how much Papi hates CHB.

allan said...

Pedro once said that CHB was the only thing he wouldn't miss about Boston.

BklynSoxFan said...

Everybody wants to kill CHB, Papi.

Tom DePlonty said...

Which, I think, is exactly why the Globe keeps him.

allan said...

As long as his stuff gets clicks and is talked about, he'll have a job. It doesn't matter that lives to stir shit up.

FenFan said...

I just caught what Gordon Edes posted on ESPN Boston. I just lost more than a little respect for the guy.

"...the reporter with the red jheri curl from The Boston Globe..."

I now dub CHB with a new nickname: "Jheri"

allan said...

Sounds good to me!
Not sure how much we'll use it, though, as I refuse to link to his stuff and almost never mention him. (All I know about what he does is thru the SoSH thread dedicated to his BS.)

allan said...

OTM comment from Scoop1981:

"You're from the Dominican.....do you think you fit the profile of a steroid user?"
Dan...with a question containing a reference to an individual's nationality as indicative of substance abuse, do you feel you fit the profile of a racist?

allan said...

CHB, October 29, 2004:
"Personally, I already miss the old Red Sox a little."

Maxwell Horse said...

"I just caught what Gordon Edes posted on ESPN Boston. I just lost more than a little respect for the guy."

At least most of the commenters under the article are being critical of it. There's always that.

The tabloid level of discourse that we now call our news media is depressing. I can't help but think that this kind of degeneration is what inevitably happens when you have an entire economy/way of life based on the churning out and consumption of infotainment, rather than, you know, actual production of goods and exports.

And should someone in the media ever get called out on being lazy, deceptive, libelous, pathetic, whatever... they ALWAYS fall back on the tired old, "I'm just doing my job." The implication apparently being that so long as you get paid money, then it's okay not to have any pride or integrity.